Health Benefits of Garlic Tincture
What Is Garlic Tincture? It’s a potent infusion of garlic in grain alcohol or distilled water. The bulb of the plant is used to make the tincture. Garlic is macerated in one of these liquids, and then pressed through a tincture press to release all of the potent chemicals that make garlic such a boon to good health.
Why Garlic Tincture? There are a number of reasons why you may wish to choose garlic tincture over other garlic delivery forms including fresh garlic, capsules and tablets. While fresh garlic can spoil quite quickly, tinctures keep well when stored in dark glass jars. Tinctures are also believed to be more readily accessible to and more efficiently used in the body than the dried forms of the herb found in pills and capsules.
Does it Smell Like Garlic? Garlic tincture does, indeed, smell like garlic. One of the primary active ingredients that gives garlic its health properties is known as acillin, which also gives garlic its characteristic potent smell. Since this compound is the most active ingredient in garlic, health-wise, it is necessary that it is left in the tincture for the tincture to confer health benefits. Acillin contains sulfur, which gives garlic its characteristic sharp smell. There’s no getting around it. Healthy garlic tincture is smelly garlic tincture.
Health Benefits of Garlic Tincture Garlic has a huge number of reported health benefits, which are outlined below. Garlic has antibacterial/antibiotic properties. The use of garlic for its antibiotic properties goes back centuries to when it was used to ward off the plague and anthrax. This is directly attributed to the sulfur-containing acillins, which are so abundant in this potent herb.
- It is antiviral.
- Garlic is antifungal.
- It can be used as a natural mosquito repellent.
- It is a powerful antioxidant that helps fight aging and oxidation in the body.
- Garlic tincture is believed to be helpful in lowering blood lipid (cholesterol, triglyceride) levels, and is considered an effective herb in the fight against circulatory diseases like high blood pressure and atherosclerosis.
- Some believe that garlic tincture can be used to fight acne when used topically.
- Garlic oil tincture can be used to soothe ear aches and treat ear infections.
- Garlic can be used to fight fungal infections such as athletes foot.
- Some believe that the antiviral properties of garlic may help to make warts disappear.
Contraindications, Cautions and Side Effects Excessive amounts of garlic or garlic tincture can result in gastric distress such as heart burn or intestinal gas. In extreme cases, damage to the digestive tract can occur.
- Garlic has anti-platelet effects on the blood which can lead to poor coagulation. It is best to avoid garlic before surgery because of these anti-platelet effects.
- Garlic tincture is not recommended for those on blood thinning medications such as Wafarin and Heparin.
- Garlic is not recommended for those who have anti-coagulation disorders. Garlic tincture may cause menstrual changes.
- Excessive intake of garlic tincture may cause dizziness, lightheadedness, nausea and sweating.
It’s always best to check with your personal health care provider before taking any herbal medications, including garlic tincture.
Dosage Recommendations The recommended dosage of garlic tincture for adults is four to five drops of tincture once a day. Tincture can be taken in a glass of water. A few drops of tincture can also be used topically for treatment of fungal and bacterial infections. Discontinue use if side effects occur.
See you at the Third Annual Garlic Festival at Shaker Square
this Weekend, Sept. 8th & 9th, 2012
Mention you read about it here and receive 15% off my
fresh potent tincture of homegrown Siberian Garlic!
Limited quantity – Not offered on-line.
“Ripe” Fest • Cleveland Botanical Gardens
September 22nd and 23rd, 2012
I’ve just committed to another exciting event to be held at the Cleveland Botanical Gardens called the “Ripe” Fest on September 22nd and 23rd. I hope you’ll mark your calendars! Check out our farmers markets and fun events listings to find us near you!
Hummingbird Creations local, natural products
Learn more about herbs and natural body care products on our website, and
sign up to receive our herbal newsletter so you don’t miss a thing >
Cleveland Farmer’s Markets & Fun Events, September 2012
Check for more events and updates.
Thank you for supporting your local farmers and businesses and I’ll see you at the markets this season! And bring a friend if you can. Your support encourages more local farmers and even better markets. Peace! – Judi